Re: [galeon] [WCS-2.0.swg] CF-netCDF standards initiatives

Good question, Max.
To be  honest, I'm not sure whether this would be the first of its kind.
 When the approach was suggested by OGC staff, the precedent most often
mentioned was something to the effect that CF-netCDF would be for binary
encoding the equivalent of what KML is for XML encoding -- an existing de
facto standard with a large well-established community of practice where
both communities would be better off with formal de jure recognition.  (In
the case of netCDF, it actually is a de jure standard in the NASA and NOAA
standards realms.)

I've alway thought of JPEG2000 as a binary encoding format, so, at one time,
I thought that was a precedent and looked upon JP2K and JPIP as being
similar to netCDF and OPeNDAP in our user community.   But you are the
expert on JP2K and, from what I can tell, OGC has really only standardized
the use of GML in JP2K and JPIP.

So, it may well be this would be the first OGC standard for binary encoding.
 Perhaps others are aware of precedents.

Does that make a difference?

-- Ben