From: OGC Press <announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM
Subject: [Tc] OGC Forms Hydrology and Meteorology Domain Working Groups
To: OGC TC <tc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OGC PC <
pc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For information about this announcement, contact:

Sam Bacharach
Executive Director, Outreach and Community Adoption
Open Geospatial Consortium, Inc
tel: +1-703-352-3938
sbacharach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

April 22, 2009, Wayland, Massachusetts. The Open Geospatial
Consortium, Inc. (OGC(R)) announces the formation of Domain Working
Groups (DWG) for Hydrology (
http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/hydrologydwg)
and Meteorology (http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/meteodwg).

The OGC’s standards are enabling a new degree of
interoperability within and between the hydrology and meteorology
communities. The focus now is to leverage these DWG’s to further
advance interoperability solutions to benefit these disciplines, which
have increasing importance globally in science, policy and decision
support.

The Hydrology Domain Working Group brings together experts from this
community of interest to develop and promote standards,
interoperability and best practices for improving the way in which
water information is described and shared. This working group is to be
hosted by the OGC and co-chaired by a representative from the World
Meteorological Organisation’s (WMO) Commission for Hydrology (CHy)
(http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/hwrp/chy/chy_index.html).

The purpose of the OGC Meteorology DWG is to provide an open forum for
work on meteorological data interoperability, and a route to
publication through OGC's standards process (Discussion paper / Best
Practice / Standard, and, if appropriate, to ISO status). The goal is
to develop standards that meet the specific needs of the World
Meteorological Organization (http://www.wmo.int/pages/index_en.html)
and benefit the world weather, water and climate data users and
producers.

The OGC’s current standards are enabling a new degree of
interoperability within and between the hydrology and meteorology
communities. The focus now is to leverage these working groups to
further advance interoperability solutions to benefit these
disciplines, which have increasing importance in the world
scientifically and politically.

David Maidment, Director, Center for Research in Water Resources
University of Texas at Austin and leader of the CUAHSI (Consortium of
Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc) project
on Hydrologic Information Systems, said, “I am most happy to see
this collaboration between OGC and WMO to foster web services
standards for the hydrology community.”

Chris Little from the UK Met Office, Co-Chair of the Meteorology
Domain Working Group, who has been involved in standards for
operational meteorology throughout his career, said: “I welcome
this practical collaboration to improve meteorological and
geospatial standards and services globally. Also, the WMO Commission
for Basic Systems, which has just met, has agreed to pursue a formal
Memorandum of Understanding with OGC."

An OGC Domain Working Group (DWG) provides a forum for discussion of
key interoperability requirements and issues, discussion and review of
specifications, and presentations on key technology areas relevant to
solving its members’ geospatial interoperability issues.

The OGC® is an international consortium of more than 380
companies, government agencies, research organizations, and
universities participating in a consensus process to develop publicly
available geospatial standards. OpenGIS® Standards support
interoperable solutions that "geo-enable" the Web, wireless and
location-based services, and mainstream IT. OGC Standards empower
technology developers to make geospatial information and services
accessible and useful with any application that needs to be
geospatially enabled. Visit the OGC website at
http://www.opengeospatial.org/ .