From: wcs-1.2.swg-bounces+wenli.yang-1=nasa.gov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wcs-1.2.swg-bounces+wenli.yang-1=nasa.gov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ben Domenico
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 9:23 PM
To: Ethan Davis
Cc: wcs-1.2.swg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Unidata GALEON
Subject: Re: [WCS-1.2.swg] Forecast times and dimensionality (domain axes)

Hi Ethan and Wenli,

When we get a chance, it would be good to turn your valuable email exchange
into a use case document for having two time dimensions.  This is really a
practical description of how datasets with two time dimensions are now being
served to the community.

I hope someone will help me remember this after the OGC TC meetings.'

Thanks.

-- Ben
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Ethan Davis
<edavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:edavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Hi Wenli,

Yang, Wenli (GSFC-610.2)[GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY] wrote:
> Ethan,
>
> John's poster is very nice.  As to the 5D cubes, it looks like
> they are conceptual rather than true 5D data arrays. If both
> t1 and t2 are treated as independent dimensions in a 5D data
> array, you'll have no-value cells at the bellow the diagonal
> line in the (t1,t2) plane unless you include hindcast/nowcast
> results in the data model.  The poster actually shows that no
> data are available at the lower left part of the 2D (i.e.,
> model run versus forecast time) plane.
They are somewhat sparse arrays but they are not just conceptual. Here
is an OPeNDAP data descriptor URL for one of the 5D cubes:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Alaska_191km/NCEP-GFS-Alaska_191km_fmrc.ncd.dds

All of of the data variables (coverage fields) have two time dimensions,
"run" and "time" (or "time1"). Many, like Temperature, are 5D cubes
though some, like Pressure, don't have a vertical dimension

 Temperature[run = 243][time = 21][isobaric1 = 9][y = 39][x = 45]
 Pressure[run = 243][time = 21][y = 39][x = 45]

Because the arrays are somewhat sparse, a particular subset of the data
may return lots of "missing values" (or NaNs).

Note: We don't support WCS requests on the 5D cube but most (all?) of
the slices do.

> I also obtained a netCDF file using the netcdfsubset link,
> with u_wind be subsetted.  The file contains a 3D (x,y,t)
> array instead of 4D (x,y,t1,t2) array.  One of the time
> dimension, model run, is apparently indicated by the file
> name, i.e., NCEP-GFS-Alaska_191km_RUN_2009-03-25T12_00_00Z.nc.
That is right, the data you got was from the set (one for each model
run) of "Forecast Model Run" 4D slice datasets. This one for the 12Z run
on the 25th.

If you go up one level in the catalogs to

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/catalog/fmrc/NCEP/GFS/Alaska_191km/catalog.html

and follow the "Forecast Model Run Collection (2D time coordinates)"
link you will get to the full 5D cube. The next four links all lead to a
single slice ("Best Time Series") or a collection of slices ("Forecast
Model Run", "Constant Forecast Offset", and "Constant Forecast Date")
through the 5D cube. The last link leads to the collection of underlying
data files ("File Access").

> In WCS, if you define a grid having a 5D CRS (x,y,z,t1,t2),
> with dimension sizes being Nx,Ny,Nx,Nt1,Nt2.  A client expects
> the returned grid to have Nx * Ny * Nx * Nt1 * Nt2 gird point
> values, assuming no subsetting and resampling, unless the server
> outputs multiple files (or one file with multiple variables)
> each representing one specific time for one of the time dimension
> (say, t1) and containing a 4D data array (say, x,y,z,t2).  In
> this case, the server can avoid no-value points if the sizes of
> the t2 dimension in different arrays are allowed to be different,
> e.g., the dimension size in the first array being Nt2, in the 2nd
> array being Nt2-1, in the 3rd array being Nt2-2, etc.
That sounds correct. Though in that case, how would the server describe
how the individual files in the response fit together. The client would
have to do some work both to 1) understand that they aren't getting back
all the data they requested and 2) understand how the pieces fit
together and then fit them back together.

Ethan