[CONDUIT #OAE-251505]: NCEP CONDUIT feed setup

Hi Carissa,

re:
> I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to review the email I had
> sent. I know you had a busy week last week, but just want to make sure this
> is on your radar so we can get a CONDUIT backup going.

I apologize for not being able to respond before now.  I was on travel all of
last week and have been battling fallout from the severe flooding that we
have been experiencing here pretty much every day since (sigh).

re:
> Well...I feel like we will have had this conversation once before :) But
> since losing our Silver Spring server we are finally ready to get a backup
> going for CONDUIT. Due to reasons out of our control, this will not be
> through the server that we had setup last fall.

OK, this should pose no problems on our side.

re:
> We have the hardware and software in place, but since it has been a year
> I'd like to confirm that the ldmd.conf is still what you would like to see
> below. If that is good I will have them add the IP's to the firewall in the
> next few days. Once that is done we can start testing again.

Comments are mixed in with the ldmd.conf snippit below.

re:
> And unless we hear negative feedback from you, the system is actually
> going to be load balanced between 3 virtual systems. So you will only
> request from 1 IP.
>
> 140.90.101.42

Excellent!  This is how we configured the UCAR top level IDD relay,
idd.unidata.ucar.edu.  We use LVS for the cluster director.

re:
> We are still working with the admins on the amount of RAM available.
> Currently it is 16G. So we could probably make the queue size 10G without
> issue. But I have asked them what it would take to up it.

I agree, a 10 GB queue should work nicely on a 16 GB machine.  You might
even be able to get away with a 12 GB queue.

re:
> The only other issue is the request of the NDFD data from tg1 (TOC). This
> is not in place yet. Could you let us know if it is still necessary for the
> feed?

Unidata users are used to getting these data, so their going away permanently
might cause some to complain.  We will discuss this with our governing
committees (especially the User's Committee) when they meet here in
Boulder in the beginning of October.  I think, however, that it would be
OK to not have the NDFD portion of the feed working when the new machines
go live.  We can explain this to the community (IF anyone complains).

re:
> ALLOW   ANY     ^((localhost|loopback)|(127\.**0\.0\.1\.?$))

I don't understand the '.**0' in this ALLOW.  We use:

allow   ANY

^((localhost|loopback)|(127\.0\.0\.1\.?$)|([a-z].*\.unidata\.ucar\.edu\.?$))

The differences are:

- 127\.0\.0\.1\.?$  vs your  127\.**0\.0\.1\.?$

- our inclusion of access by all unidata.ucar.edu machines by name

re:
> # Give permission to the Unidata Program Center
> ALLOW   ANY     ^[a-z].*\.unidata\.ucar\.edu\.**?$

Again, I don' understand the '.**' here.  See above for what we use.

re:
> # non-UNIDATA CONDUIT hosts
> allow   ANY     ^atm\.cise-nsf\.gov\.?$ .*      ^data2/TIGGE_resend

This entry can be removed since atm.cise-nsf.gov no longer exists (we
got asked to shutdown our IDD presence in the NSF machine room in
Vienna, VA because we were using too much bandwidth).

re:
> allow   ANY     ^idd\.aos\.wisc\.edu\.?$        .* ^data2/TIGGE_resend
> allow   ANY     ^flood\.atmos\.uiuc\.edu\.?$    .* ^data2/TIGGE_resend
> allow   ANY     ^(idd-ingest|iddrs3)\.meteo\.**psu\.edu\.?$ .*
> ^data2/TIGGE_resend

Looks good modulo the '.**'.

re:
> # NCAR
> ALLOW   ANY     ^dataportal\.ucar\.edu\.?$      .*
> ALLOW   ANY     ^datagrid\.ucar\.edu\.?$        .*
> # ECMWF
> ALLOW   ANY     ^193\.61\.196\.74\.?$   .*
> # Test from vm-lnx-ldmex
> ALLOW   ANY     ^140\.90\.100\.93\.?$   .*
> # test from SSEC operated by Unidata
> ALLOW   ANY     ^unidata2-new\.ssec\.wisc\.**edu\.?$      .*

OK on all of these.

re:
> > Thanks,

Again, many apologies for the extremely long time it took us to
reply to your email!!

Ticket ID: OAE-251505
Department: Support CONDUIT